Counselling Melbourne for Individuals and Couples
Counselling Melbourne assists individuals to rebuild the ‘self’, so that they become unstuck from the internal roadblocks that hold them back, to move forward with life. A healthy sense of ‘self’ creates the foundation for healthy relationships. Counselling in Melbourne assists individuals to cope more effectively, by managing feelings and changing stuck patterns of behaviour. Overcome self-limiting core beliefs and defensive coping behaviour by unlocking the real self. Psychotherapy allows individuals to be free from the unconscious blind spots that interfere with how they perceive themselves and others.
Counselling Service Melbourne provides personal counselling for individuals who may feel there are underlying issues underpinning their behaviour. Melbourne Counselling Services treats depression, anxiety, anger and relationship difficulties. Couples counselling is for couples who want to overcome negative patterns of interaction and communicate more effectively. Marriage counselling assists individuals to become more in touch with themselves and their emotions, so that they can invite a more attuned response from their partner. Many are afraid to be themselves because deep down they fear abandonment, judgement or they feel unsafe, so they compromise themselves for the sake of the relationship, often sabotaging themselves and their relationships.
- Individual therapy or personal counselling works for those who may feel stuck, lost or are not coping with an aspect of life. Often not being sure of one’s ‘self’ occurs from not registering one’s thoughts or feelings. Repressing feelings can have a self-debilitating impact on the individual. Many lose themselves in relationships by adapting their behaviour to please others, or escape by distracting themselves from what is really going on inside. Sometimes individuals come to anger management counselling when they ignore their self and act out with anger toward those they love.
Counselling Services Melbourne assists individuals to get in touch with their actual ‘self’ and overcome areas of stuckness, by strengthening the capacities within the ‘self’ in order to cope and deal with difficulties. Our counsellor Melbourne allows individuals to process uncomfortable emotions, so they are better managed within, overcoming defensive patterns that become rigid and self-perpetuating cycles.
Find a Counsellor Melbourne
Why choose a counselor? Life can be stressful and painful at times, especially if we get triggered. In these moments we may feel not strong enough to deal with situations, which can lead to unhealthy coping mechanisms. Addictions, affairs, moving on from partners too quickly, running away and holding on to abusive relationships can become self-destructive pathways.
Many commence psychotherapy when these coping styles take control of them, as they become depressed and anxious. They find ways to fill the empty self by looking for comforts, escapes or distractions. Yet, they remain stuck in self-perpetuating and self-defeating behaviour, searching for the quick fix to gratify their feelings of emptiness. Therapy targets the underlying issues to eradicate destructive behaviours and resolve them.
Invest in Your ‘Self’ with Counselling in Melbourne Service
Counseling Melbourne offers the fuel that builds the ‘self’s’ capacity to cope, so life becomes smoother. Listening to ourselves tells us what we need and informs us on how we can implement change. Therapy dismantles defensive behaviour, to locate the real self. The more we know what’s going on inside, the more we can self-activate, and gain clarity and self-direction. We can negotiate our own needs, become stronger in facing our emotions, improve coping and maintain healthy relationships. When individuals are not held back by avoiding uncomfortable emotions, they have the freedom to move forward and embrace their real potential in life.
If the following behaviours describe you, then perhaps Melbourne Counseling can help:
Signs that show the ‘self’ is not coping:
- Many resort to comforts, such as addictions, to escape underlying feelings, or avoid dealing with things.
- Some do not stop to think about themselves, preferring to go along with others rather than taking responsibility for change
- It can feel easier to get one’s happiness from others, then take control of one’s own life
- Many go along with others, then find their own way.
- Individuals can have poor coping mechanisms, impulsive behaviour, low tolerance to frustration and ineffective ways of handling emotions.
- Listen to what others tell them to do, over trusting themselves.
- Many avoid what may be going on inside, because it evokes uncomfortable feelings.
- Some don’t want to encounter their real thoughts or face the reality of their situation, preferring avoidance over resolution
- Many ignore warning signs that something is not right, to avoid conflict in their marriage
- A low functioning self can be depicted when individuals cannot hold down jobs or sustain relationships, or cannot be alone and require others as a source of need fulfilment.
Many individuals embark on relationship counselling in Melbourne when they notice the same relationship patterns re-occurring:
- Many have difficulty letting go of relationships and moving on.
- Some stay stuck in abusive relationships because they fear being on their own or fear abandonment.
- Many lose their ‘self’ in relationships by accommodating the needs of others, not setting boundaries or the inability to assert themselves.
- Unexpressed needs lead to built-up resentment and displaced anger towards the partner.
- Blaming the partner for one’s feelings when triggered and holding them accountable.
- Many avoid conflict because it feels safer to keep the peace.
- Insecurity, jealousy and controlling behaviour can push loved ones away.
- Withdrawing from having an intimate connection to avoid hurt and vulnerability.
- Coping with pornography and infidelity as a way to self soothe pain.
Seeing a counsellor Melbourne can assist in repairing the ‘self’, so that all aspects of life can improve, including love, relationships and work. While, also assist individuals to see themselves and others more clearly, by targeting underlying feelings and overcoming areas of stuckness. Couples therapy overcomes defensive patterns of relating that create areas of stuckness.
For more mental health articles and blogs click Counselling Melbourne Bogs
Medicare Rebates Applicable with a GP referral (Mental Health Care Plan)
For enquiries for Counselling Melbourne CBD call: 0449 861 147 or use the contact form.
All content is copyright 2017 Nancy Carbone